To learn more about any of these programs, contact the Religious Education Office at 301-942-8790 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The parish Director of Religious Education is Miss Jeanmarie Keeney.
Holy Cross School & Religious Education Programs
Holy Cross Elementry School is a Roman Catholic School under
the jurisdiction of the Archdiocese of Washington. We offer grades
Pre-K - 8, please follow the below link for addional
Holy Cross School
Grades: Pre-K - 8
4900 Strathmore Avenue
Garrett Park, MD 20896
The Religious Education Office at Holy Cross Church offers many programs for parishioners of all ages:
- School of Religion (formerly CCD): Our School of Religion (SOR) provides religious education for students in kindergarten through eighth grade. During the school year, classes meet in the school building on Sunday mornings from 10:15 to 11:30 a.m. To register your child, contact the Religious Ed. Office.
- Sacramental Preparation: Each year, the children from our day school and Sunday school join with parish students from other schools to receive the sacraments. First Penance and First Communion are given in second grade. Confirmation is conferred upon our eighth graders. Two years of sacramental preparation are required before the reception of these sacraments. For more information, contact the Religious Ed. Office.
- Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA): A class for non-Catholic adults interested in entering the Church and/or Catholic adults who wish to “brush up” on their faith is offered each year, beginning in the fall. For more information, contact the Religious Ed. Office.
- Children's Liturgy of the Word: During the 9:00 a.m. Mass (9:30, summer schedule), adult leaders gather our young children (ages c. 3 to 8) at the 9:00 a.m. Mass and take them to the basement classroom in Quinn Hall for their own age-appropriate presentation of that Sunday's readings. The children are called forward, blessed, and sent forth before the First Reading; they return after the homily. Parents are always welcome.
- Bible Study Classes: New members are always welcome!.
- The Bible Study Group meets from 7:00 to 8:30 p.m. every Monday eveningin the school library. We are currently doing a close reading together of St. Mark’s Gospel. The group uses the paperback Ignatius Catholic Study Bible edition of this gospel (RSV, 2nd Catholic ed.). New members are always welcome!
DVD Bible Timeline and other Bible study programs are also offered periodically. Contact the Religious Ed. Office for more information.
- Catholic Book Group: This group for adults meets from 7:00 to 8:30 p.m. on the first Tuesday of each month in the school library to discuss a designated book, usually a work of fiction by a Catholic or Christian author. Contact the Religious Ed. Office to learn more, or read the book (listed in the bulletin) and come join our lively discussions.
- Other Events: The Religious Education Office also sponsors
occasional parish and family events and inspirational speakers.